“Unarmed”

Filed under:All Entries,Elite Athlete WOD — posted by Coach on October 10, 2008 @ 7:45 am

“Action precedes progress; analysis precedes more analysis. Act first, analyze later”

~Charles Staley

Workout of the Day

3 Rounds for time of:

Workout taken from www.blackboxathletics.com.

Post your comments, questions, and time.

7 comments »

1. Before you go making this one harder, let me warn you that tomorrow is a tough one. Go after this one today with as much intensity as you can muster, but don’t add to it. You’ll thank me later.

Comment by Coach — October 10, 2008 @ 7:49 am

2. Hey Coach,
    I made sure to take your advice today and didn’t make the workout any harder. I worked hard and finished it in 18 minutes and 26 seconds. I definately felt sore from yesterday while doing today’s workout. Coach, what does the “action precedes progress” part of the quote mean?

Comment by Andrew Langbehn — October 10, 2008 @ 12:03 pm

3. Progress is the result of action. Therefore one must first act before they can expect to make any progress.

We often get paralysis by analysis, which simply means that we make a plan that is based in simplicity and then overthink and overanalyze it without taking any action, and therefore go nowhere.

Make sense?

Comment by Coach — October 10, 2008 @ 1:22 pm

4. Today we did 1-1-1-1-1 of shoulder press, 3-3-3-3-3 of push press, and 5-5-5-5-5 of push jerk. I also did 2x 3/4 mile hill repeats on a steep hill. When I am rolling in jiu-jitsu it is a constant mind game if I think about what I can do for longer than a split second. The move I though about doing is gone and I have to wait for another opening. Therefore if I learn to act quickly and effictively, I can analyze what I did afterword and figure out the holes in my game and what I did wrong. This teaches me not to overthink any situation because that’s when you get yourself into trouble.

Comment by Chandler W — October 10, 2008 @ 3:48 pm

5. hey coach when are you coming to Reno again?

Comment by Chandler W — October 10, 2008 @ 3:51 pm

6. Looks like I’ll be in Reno/Sparks on the 15th and 16th of this month. I’m looking forward to training with you.

Comment by Coach — October 10, 2008 @ 9:27 pm

7. Nice one! :) Site is awesome. Today’s workout (Saturday 10/11) read like a Clancy novel.

AT